- Location: Serengeti area, Tanzania
- Best Time to Visit: October to March
- Time to visit: Any time other than during the long rains in April and May
- How to reach: The nearest international airport to Serengeti National Park is Kilimanjaro Airport near Arusha. The main entrance into the Serengeti from Arusha passes the gate of Lake Manyara National Park, mounts the Rift Valley Escarpment, goes on through the farming lands to the Ngorongoro Crater Conservation Area, drops down onto the plains past Olduvai Gorge to the east and goes into the Serengeti through Naabi Hill Gate. The distance is around 325 kilometers and the journey takes around 8 hours.
- Nearest Airport: Kilimanjaro International Airport
- Nearest railway station: Arusha Station
It was 1913 when Stewart Edward White, an American hunter, started his journey from Nairobi and he had found Serengeti- “We walked for miles over burnt out country… Then I saw the green trees of the river, walked two miles more and found myself in paradise”. The Serengeti region, “the place where the land moves on forever”, covers the Serengeti National Park, the Ngorongoro Conservation Area, Maswa Game Reserve, the Loliondo, Grumeti and Ikorongo Controlled Areas and the Maasai Mara National Reserve in Kenya.
The Serengeti National Park, the Ngorongoro Conservation Area, and the Maasai Mara Game Reserve are home to the most varied collection of terrestrial wildlife on earth. In addition to the migration of ungulates, the park is well-known for its diverse range of wildlife, particularly the “Big Five”: the lion, leopard, elephant, rhinoceros, buffalo and other species like cheetah, gazelle, and giraffe as well as a large bird population. Safari in Serengeti
Serengeti is synonymous with huge herds of game, predators and open savanna and the most popular way to explore them is to take a game drive. The Serengeti offers an exquisite opportunity for one of the best game-viewing in Africa.
Attractions and activities in Serengeti National Park
The park has various regions and the ecosystem is subtly different in each of them. Maswa Game Reserve to the south is well-known for its game-viewing and solitude while Lobo near the Kenyan border offers a wonderful opportunity to observe plentiful games during the dry season. Seronera in the center of the park is the most easily-visited area.
Apart from traditional vehicle safaris, hot-air ballooning has become a thrilling adventure for travelers. A balloon safari over the plains offers a majestic view of the breathtaking landscape. Other activities include taking snaps, walking safaris and so on.
Where to stay
There are a number of lodges and camps to stay in the Serengeti.
Explore Serengeti National Park, unquestionably the best-known wildlife sanctuary in the world and unequaled for its scenic beauty as well as scientific value.
Related Links :
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=kumilx_goXE: See great views of the magical Serengeti wildlife in this fascinating slideshow. You will understand why this is one of the most popular wildlife destinations in the whole of Africa.