- Location: Mount Kailash is in Gangdisíª Mountains, in the Himalayas, located in Tibet. Lake Mansarovar is located to the south of it.
- Attraction Type: Journey to sacred Mountain and Lake.
- Significance: These two destinations are amongst the most sacred destinations for a number of religions. Apart from the religious importance, Mount Kailash and Lake Mansarovar also offer you to experience some of the greatest beauties on the earth.
- Best time to Visit: May to September.
- How to Reach: There are only four entry points for Kailash Mansarovar. Xigatse (can be reached from Lhasa or Kathmandu), Uttarkashi in India, Kashgar, and Simikot in Nepal.
- Nearest Airport: Lhasa Gonggar Airport (LXA).
They say, it is a journey that every traveler must go for at least once in their lifetime. It is a journey that, in spite of being a holy destination especially for four religions viz. Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and Bíön faith, goes above the religious cults and it prevails only the raw beauty of nature. Kailash Mansarovar is a tour, also popularly known as ‘Kailash Mansarovar Yatra’, which covers two of the most sacred and beautiful destinations in the world — Mount Kailash and Lake Mansarovar. Though consists of two different destinations, it is a common practice to cover Kailash and Mansarovar at one go.
Visiting Kailash Mansarovar
Visiting Kailash Mansarovar is an experience of a lifetime for any traveler. But, before you go to visit these amazing destinations, you need to understand it quite clearly that this journey is extremely arduous and involves trekking at an altitude up to 19,500 feet, sometimes under inhospitable conditions.
Darchen is the entry point of Mount Kailash. It is always good to go for a package tour to visit these destinations. It is quite popular among the tourists to walk around Kailash, if possible though extremely strenuous, in a single day. You can also take pony or yak, as it requires 52 km of trekking. As the destination is located in the remotest area of Tibet, you will only find amenities like benches to take some rest and refreshment kiosks.
Once you have completed your visit to Kailash, move towards the Lake Mansarovar. It is a popular belief that if your bath and drink its water, you will be cleansed of all sins.
Kailash Mansarovar Tour
Due to its remote location and inhospitable condition, it is good to go for package tours to visit Kailash Mansarovar. The duration of the tours may vary from 7 days to 30 days, depending upon where are you going from and how are you going by. Various types of tours are conducted from Tibet, Nepal and India. Jeep tours are quite common. You can also go for Helicopter tours which will save a few days for you, but at the same time, it may also deprive you of adventure and natural beauty a bit.