on each tourist place as never before!
Gili Islands IndonesiaFast Facts
- Location: Located off the northwest coast of Lombok in Indonesia.
- Attraction Type: Archipelago.
- Significance: An archipelago of three islands, Gili Islands in Indonesia is surrounded by magnificent sandy beaches, colorful coral reefs and crystal clear turquoise waters.
- Best time to Visit: May through August.
- How to Reach: Air: Selaparang Airport (AMI) of Mataram on the mainland Lombok is the nearest airport. But there is a fairly reasonable option to come at Ngurah Rai International Airport (DPS) at Denpasar, Bali and then take a ferry service to reach the Gili Islands. Bali airport will also open up several routes for the travelers as a number of flights from a number of destinations of the world come to this airport regularly. You will find flights to Bali from places like Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta, Johor Bahru, Kuching, Kota Kinabalu, Hong Kong, and Taipei.
Boat: Reaching Gili Islands from Bali and Lombok is quite easy as there are numerous boat services available from Bali and Lombok to Gilis: BlueWater Express (Ph: +62-813-38418988, Web: www.bwsbali.com)
Island Getaway (Ph: +62-361-753241, Web: www.gili-paradise.com)
Gili Cat (Ph: +62-361-271680, Web: www.gilicat.com)
Perama Express (Ph: +62-361-751551, Web: http://gili.peramatour.com)
The ferry services depend upon the weather condition. So, it is better to check with operators for current status and schedules of the boats. You may, in some cases, need to pay a transfer charge for going to/from Bali. Bounty charges $10 for the transfer, whereas BlueWater and Gili Cat offer free transfer.
- Nearest Airport: Selaparang Airport (AMI) of Mataram. But most convenient may be Ngurah Rai International Airport (DPS) at Denpasar, Bali. Gili Islands Indonesia are the archipelago of three small islands in Indonesia viz. Gili Trawangan, Gili Meno and Gili Air. Located off the northwest coast of Lombok in Indonesia, Gili Islands are surrounded by magnificent sandy beaches, colorful coral reefs and crystal clear turquoise waters that attract travelers from all over the world, especially from the west who search for a remote island experience. Small resorts, mostly consisting of small huts and a restaurant for the tourists, are what each of the islands is made up of. The countless beachside cafes and the 'no motor vehicles' roads are ready to add more dimension to your holidays. Discovered by the backpackers during the 1980s, Gili Islands have become a must see travel destinations in the world.
The Gili Islands in Indonesia are quite laid-back in nature and provide amazing white sandy beaches with some opportunities of exciting activities. Automobiles are strictly prohibited on the islands. So you need to use bicycle or the cidomo the horse-drawn carriage in order to move around the island. In order to go from one island to another, you can use small ferries.
Visiting Gili Islands, Indonesia
The biggest attractions of Gili Islands are its beaches and some exciting water sports like diving and snorkeling. The three islands that the Gili Islands are made up of are from west to east: Gili Trawangan (also known as Gili T), Gili Meno, and Gili Air.
Gili Trawangan: This is the most developed island of all the Gili Islands Indonesia with a population of around 800. Also known as Trawangan, Gili Trawangan has to offer a number of backpacker options. You will find the place full of elegant resorts and beautiful villas.
Gili Meno: This is the smallest as well as the quietest islands of all the Gili Islands. This island is for those who love calmness. The accommodation available here are also quite simple.
Gili Air: This Island is located pretty close to the mainland.
The beaches of Gili Islands may get crowded during some of the seasons. Gili Trawangan has the most beautiful beaches of Gili Islands. The islands of Gili Meno and Gili Air have their better beaches on the west side of the islands. The beaches of Gili Islands are quite good, but surely not the best in the world. The best part of visiting Gili Islands is perhaps the exciting water sports. There are many places that offer wonderful scuba diving, surfing and snorkeling facilities to the tourists.