on each tourist place as never before!
Kyaikhtiyo PagodaFast Facts
- Location:20 km from Kyaikhtiyo town
- Time to visit: October to March
- Preferred timings: Day time
- How to reach: By train or car to Kyaikhtiyo town from Yangon, the capital of Myanmar. Yangon International Airport is connected to a number of major Indian destinations as well as Jakarta and Bangkok by flights of Indian Airlines, Singapore Airlines and Malaysian Airlines. From Kyaikhtiyo, it is another 12 km by road to Kimmunsakhan at the base of the hill
- Nearest railway station: Kyaikhtiyo
- Nearest International Airport: Yangon International Airport
- Time required for sightseeing: 1 day
History of the Golden Rock
A hermit after receiving a sermon from Gautam Buddha obtained a hair strand from Buddha himself and placed it within his hair. While returning he discovered this granite rock which resembled his head. He subsequently built a pagoda on this 30 feet high rock to protect and preserve this relic. This egg-shaped boulder can be rocked by gentle pushing and a thread passed underneath. You can have the impression that this delicately balanced rock will topple by a strong wind or by adding a few kilogram weights. However, that is not to happen and therein lays the mystery of Kyaikhtiyo Pagoda.
This pagoda is supposedly 2500 years old and visited by devotees and enthusiasts throughout the year. From the base of the hill you can either trek up to the Pagoda along an 11 km path or drive up within 30 minutes walking distance from the Golden Rock. Kids, the aged, and the physically underprivileged can take the help of bamboo carrier chairs.
Festival at Kyaikhtiyo
Visit Kyaikhtiyo between October and March. During this time pilgrims and Buddhist devotees throng this pagoda. On March full moon day (Tabaung), ninety thousand candles are lit at the platform pagoda and worshippers in thousand offer fruits, and sweets to Lord Buddha. Be a participant in this festival and watch the glory of Buddha at the Kyaikhtiyo Pagoda Myanmar. Accommodation is available at Kyaikhtiyo town.
Accommodation and Diving at Kyaikhtiyo
There are quite a few popular accommodation facilities available at Kyaikhtiyo, from where the pagoda is around a half-an-hour journey. Kyaikhto Hotel, Mountain View Hotel, Mountain Top Hotel and Golden Rock Hotel are some of the most popular ones. Keeping in mind the needs and requirements of international tourists, the hotels has an updated range of amenities and facilities. The restaurants and bars in the hotels take care of you culinary requirements.