- Location: Located 216 km northeast of the capital city of Sri Lanka — Colombo, 140 km northeast of Kandy and 104 km southeast of Anuradhapura in Sri Lanka.
- Attraction Type: Ancient City.
- Significance: Polonnaruwa is the medieval capital of the country. Its royal palaces, statues, royal gardens, and huge buildings are treated to watch.
- Best time to Visit: November to April.
- Visiting Hours: During the daytime.
- How to Reach: Bandaranaike International Airport is the nearest major international airport, located in Colombo. You will find buses and trains from Colombo to reach there.
- Nearest Airport: Bandaranaike International Airport (CMB).
It is the place where you can find the confluence of Buddhist temples, Hindu Kovils, and Royal Palaces, it is the place with amazing statues, royal gardens, administrative buildings, road networks and sewage system inside the old city, and it is the place that carries every evidence of the medieval times. We are talking about Polonnaruwa — the second most ancient of Sri Lanka’s kingdoms and the medieval capital of the country. Currently one of the best planned archeological relic sites in Sri Lanka, Polonnaruwa is the example of the discipline and greatness of the first rulers of the Kingdom of Sri Lanka.
Located 216 km northeast of the capital city of Sri Lanka — Colombo, 140 km northeast of Kandy and 104 km southeast of Anuradhapura, Polonnaruwa is a well-preserved ancient city with astonishing statues, moonstones, dagobas, gigantic buildings, and beautiful parks. The Lotus Bath, King’s Council Chamber, the Lanka Thilaka Viharaya and the Gal Viharaya will surely make you amazed.
Things to Do
There are a lot to see in Polonnaruwa. The best way to explore Polonnaruwa is by a bicycle. You can hire a bicycle from the guesthouses. The ruins of ancient Polonnaruwa that date back to the late 10th century are the center of attraction here. Visit the Royal Palace, King Parakramabahu I Statue, King Nissanka Mall’s Palace, Siva Devale, Lankatilaka Gedige, Alahana Pirivena Complex, Gal Vihara, Demala Maha Seya and Topa Wewa Lake and the Parakrama Samudra. Also visit the Lotus Bath and Vatadage.
There are a number of hotels in Polonnaruwa. Some of those areas below:
Royal Lotus Hotel
Deer Park Hotel