on each tourist place as never before!
Old Havana and its Fortifications
- Location: The main area of the original city of Havana, Cuba
- Time to Visit: During Winter
- Preferred timings: Daytime
- How to Reach:Jose Marti International Airport with its 3 separate terminals is the chief international airport near Old Havana. Apart from air access, you will get frequent bus services. Viazul operates an inter-city coach service to/ from most major destinations including Camaguey, Cienfuegos, Matanzas, Pinar del Rio, Sancti Spiritus, Santa Clara, Santiago de Cuba, Trinidad, Varadero and Vinales. You may also hire a car to reach Old Havana.
- Nearest Railway Station: Central Railway Station
- Nearest International Airport: Jose Marti International Airport
Havana, established in 1519 by the Spanish, had become Caribbean's one of the main centers for ship-building by the 17th century. The old center of Havana preserves remarkable combination of Baroque and neoclassical monuments and a harmonized collection of private houses with arcades, balconies, wrought-iron gates and internal courtyards.
What to see
- Bacuranao Fortified Tower
Located by the Bacuranao River on the beach of the same name, it was one of the corresponding fortifications built in 1650 to protect northern coast of Havana
- Cojimar Fortress
This is a unique construction planned as part of the city's protection with the purpose of preserving the eastern side of the bay against pirate and corsair attacks.
- La Chorrera Fortified Tower
Established in 1646 at the corner of Malecon and Calle 20 Vedado, the tower protected the access to the Almendares River.
- Morro Cabana Military Park
This fascinating complex offers the travelers the chance to experience five centuries of Havana's diverse history.
- Real Fuerza Castle
Established between 1558 and 1578 and located next to Arms Square and Avenida del Puerto, it is the oldest fortress in Havana. Formerly it was the residence of Spanish governors during the colonial times.
- San Carlos de la Cabana Fortress
The fortress, located behind the Morro Castle, was constructed between 1763 and 1774 in order to strengthen the defense of Havana.
- San Lazaro Fortified Tower
Located next to the Antonio Maceo Park, the watch tower was built in the 16th century in the ancient San Lazaro cove, outside the boundaries of Old Havana.
- San Salvador de La Punta Castle
Located west of Havana Bay, the castle was established between 1590 and 1600 in order to defend the entry of the port from corsair and pirate attacks.
- Tres Reyes del Morro Castle
Situated at the doorway of the bay and built between 1589 and 1610, the castle forms part of the Morro-Cabana Historic Military Park.
Related Links :
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=sQsZX5xo-ag: To check out the beautiful Old Havana town with its distinct charm and its fortifications, watch this video!