on each tourist place as never before!
- Location: South of the island of Funen, Denmark
- Significance: Renaissance Water Castle
- Attraction Type: Renaissance Castle, Gardens, Galleries, Museums, Mazes, Vintage Car and Motorcycle Exhibition, Picnic
- Opening Timings: Between 10 am to 6 pm on an average, there can be slight variations depending on the time of the year.
- Admission Fee: Between DKK 57.00 for group children to DKK 100.00 for adults in groups. For individuals, it is between DKK 62.00 for children and DKK 110.00 for adults. These tickets cover the parks, mazes, museum and playground but not the castle. To visit all the attractions, including the castle, the ticket prices range between DKK 87.00 for children and DKK 165.00 for adults individually. In groups, they are between DKK 82.00 for children and DKK 145.00 for adults.
- How to Reach: The best way is to travel by car. You can reach it from Jylland, Sjaelland, Svendborg and Faborg with ease by taking the appropriate roads. You can also take a train from Odense and Svendborg and reach Kvaemdrup. Then ride a bus 920 to Egeskov, or take a 2.5 km walk to the caste. You can take the bus 920 directly from Nyborg and Faborg. There is also a runway that can receive small aircrafts.
- Nearest Airport: Odense has a small airport, but the most accessible is Copenhagen Kastrup Airport. All Funen destinations are served by trains from Copenhagen.
You will not find a castle in a better state of preservation than Egeskov. The gardens, the moats and even the drawbridges that were used to isolate the castle from civil war activities during the 15th century continue to be in an excellent state. The added attractions are the gardens, the parks, galleries and the stupendous collection of old cars and motorcycles. Passing through the gates of Egeskov would be like stepping into a page of history.
Egeskov Castle History
Egeskov is a typical example of a Renaissance water castle built in the middle of a lake in the 14th century. The castle was finally erected in 1554, over oaken piles from where the castle gets its name. It comprised tow buildings separated by a double wall which is about a meter thick. They are joined by secret staircases and a well, allowing inhabitants to move to the second building and continue fighting if the first one was taken by invaders. The architecture of the castle displays a clear influence of the renaissance style of castle architecture, with dashes of medieval influences thrown in, like in the use of the oversized ‘monk’s bricks’.
The gardens of Egeskov are the greatest attractions of the castle. The fragrance of the flowers and the unbelievable riot of colors when they are in full bloom will capture your senses immediately as you enter the castle. Of the many gardens in the Egeskov Castle, the most popular and loved ones are:
- The Renaissance Garden: Created by Ferdinand Duprat in 1962, this is a beautiful garden in the French garden style. The design is classical and there are fountains, colored gravel and Fleur-de-lis.
- The English Garden: This place is amazing for family picnics. The sprawling lawns and the deer preserved in an enclosed area provide just the right setting.
- Scent Garden: Prepare to pamper your senses as you enter this garden. Aromatic plants ranging from tomcat to peppermint, chocolate to nuts are developed in this garden. It is surrounded by braided hedges.
- Water Garden: This place exudes romance. Numbers of azaleas, rhododendrons, primula, ferns and hostas are some of the flowers found in this garden.
- Herbaceous Garden and Gray Garden: You can spot a large number of rare plants in this garden, including the silver-gray foliage, white flowers and white roses.
After the gardens, the galleries and museums are the greatest attractions of the castle. Some of the most popular ones are:
- The Veteran Car Museum: Also known as the old-timer museum, it exhibits a fabulous collection of 50 cars from 19th century onwards and eight airplanes spanning over a period of fifty years, each in ready to fly conditions.
- The motorcycle Museum: There is a collection of 200 motorcycles and mopeds in this collection. An annual motorcycle race is held every year in the month August, with over 200 participants.
Dracula’s Crypt and the mazes bespeak the stormy days of the civil war. Some parts of the castle, like the Old Maze from the 18th century are still not opened to the public. The playground, tree top walking and the Deer Park are other important attractions of the castle. You must not miss a view of Piet Hein’s Super Ellipse and Sundial during your visit to the Egeskov Castle.
Titania’s Palace is the most impressive doll’s house in the world. It is in display in the rigborg Room at Egeskov Castle. Shane Brox’s magical universe is another great exhibition meant for children that is present in the castle.
Camping in Egeskov
There are no accommodation facilities available in Egeskov, but what is present is all the more exciting — camping. You can camp overnight in the campsite near the parking area. There are no special charges, and there are no facilities either. You have to bring your tent and pitch it there. The plant shop authorities will give you the key to the bathroom and the toilet in exchange of DKK 20.00. However, remember that cars, caravans and camper vans are not allowed inside the castle and park premises, only tents are allowed. For food, you can always depend on the exceptional Cafíé Jomfru Rigborg.