- Location: Located in North Yorkshire in England.
- Attraction Type: Mansion.
- Significance: It is one of the finest historic houses in Britain.
- Best time to Visit: March to November, when the House remains open. However, it is check it before you go there.
- How to Reach: If you are coming down by air, land at Leeds-Bradford International Airport. Castle Howard is located just 15 miles northeast of York. Take a car to reach Castle Howard from Leeds. Buses are also available. If you want to come down by train, you need to reach at Malton station. Frequent train services are available from York.
- Nearest Airport: Leeds-Bradford International Airport (LBA)
It is one of the finest historic houses in Britain. A stately home in
North Yorkshire, Castle Howard is also one of the grandest private
residences in Britain. Designed by Sir John Vanbrugh, it took almost 100
years to build the Castle Howard though most parts of the building were
built between 1699 and 1712. Castle Howard has been the home of the
Howard family which has been living there for more than 300 years. It is
the grandness of the mansion that has made it famous throughout the
world. You can also have seen it in several television shows and movies.
Currently, Castle Howard is a part of the Treasure Houses of England
Visiting Castle Howard
The first thing that would attract you most about Castle Howard is
its grandeur. Besides the awe-inspiring architecture, Castle Howard has
also got a winder range of collections to make your visit a truly
memorable one. The collections include the Picture Collection,
Porcelain, Sculpture, Key Murals, Wine Cooler, and The William Morris
The Picture Collection comprises of a wide range of pictures that 3rd, 4th and 5th Earls had collected as they traveled to all parts of the world. However, the majority of the pictures have got strong influence of Italy. You can also see more than 300 pieces of porcelain in the mansion, displayed in the mahogany cabinet. Also visit the Crimson Dining Room. The collection of sculptures includes antique busts, statues, marble columns and table-tops. The enormous wine cooler is also another attraction of Castle Howard. The mansion also has got the William Morris Screen depicting figures of women based around Chaucer’s poem — ‘The Legend of Good Women’.
One of the greatest attractions of Castle Howard is its amazing 1,000 acres of Gardens. Spend some quality time in the tranquility of the gardens. It also offers several terrace walks and lakeside paths, breathtaking views, amazing sights of the Atlas Fountain and the Temple of the Four Winds. To be very precise, it is an awesome experience for any visitors to explore the Monumental Landscape, the 18th Century Walled Garden and the Woodland Garden.
Castle Howard regularly conducts various events, concerts and
workshops. It regularly hosts art and photograph workshops regularly.
You can surely attend some of those.
While going to visit Castle Howard, you can stay at York. You will find a range of hotels in York that cater to the needs of all sorts of travelers. Some of the York hotels can be named as Ramada Encore York, Hotel 53, Park Inn York Hotel, Monkbar Hotel, The Grange Hotel, The Blue Bridge Hotel, The Queens Hotel etc.