on each tourist place as never before!
- Location: Located on the south bank of the River Thames at Bankside in London.
- Attraction Type: Museum.
- Significance: One of the greatest collections of international modern art.
- Best time to Visit: Throughout the year, except 24th through 26th December.
- Visiting Hours: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. from Sunday through Thursday and 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Friday and Saturday.
- How to Reach: You can reach Tate Modern from various parts of the city of London by bus numbers like RV1, 45, 63, 100, 381 and 344. If you are coming down by train, you need to come at Blackfriars or London Bridge stations.
- Nearest Airport: Heathrow Airport (LHR)
It is the home to the international modern art, as they call it. Yes, we are talking about Tate Modern — Britain's national museum of international modern art. A destination for all the art lovers throughout the world, Tate Modern has got an enviable collection of international modern and contemporary arts that date back from 1900 onwards. The museum has successfully showcased all the major movements from Fauvism. Be it the masterpieces by Picasso and Matisse or the amazing works of Dalí, Mirí², Magritte and Ernst, Tate Modern has significant collections of a variety of works including Surrealism, pop art, minimal art and conceptual art. An art lover's paradise, Tate Modern is one of the major attractions in London.
Situated in the former Bankside Power Station in London, Tate Modern was inaugurated on 12th May 2000. Along with three other galleries, viz. Tate Britain, Tate Liverpool and Tate St Ives, Tate Modern is often simply known as Tate.
Tate Modern showcases its collections in four wings located on Levels 3 and 5. The central display or the hub of each wing focuses on a specific period in the development of twentieth century. The collections of seminal periods like Surrealism, Minimalism, Post-war innovations are just awesome. The collections also represent the three movements such as Cubism, Futurism and Vorticism.
Tate Modern regularly organizes various exhibitions. These exhibitions are one of the major attractions of the museum. Besides these, there are also other events organized regularly at the museum. Multimedia tours are also pretty popular among the visitors.
Sunday through Thursday: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Friday and Saturday: 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Last admission to exhibitions: 5.15 p.m. (9.15 p.m. on Friday & Saturday)
Closed: 24th to 16th December.
Entry Fee: Free
London SE1 9TG
If you are going to visit Tate Modern, you need to stay at London. No need to say that you will be flooded with options while choosing your accommodation in London. Some of the hotels in London can be listed as below:
The Strand Palace Hotel
London, WC2R 0JJ
London W1S 4BP