- Location: Rhine-Neckar triangle region in Germany near the confluence of the Rhine and Neckar rivers.
- Attraction Type: City
- Significance: History and architecture, University of Heidelberg
- Best time to Visit: Visit Heidelberg during summers to avoid the rain and take advantage of the extended hours of the sun. Avoid Christmas since this time is already popular. May to September is a particularly good time as you can participate in festivals.
- Visiting Hours: Throughout the day.
- How to Reach: Heidelberg can be reached by air, road or train. Major train services stop at Mannheim and you have to take a local train to Heidelberg. The city is connected by air service from Frankfurt and Stuttgart. It can also be reached by taking a car/bus trip on the Autobahn.
- Nearest Airport: Heidelberg Airport
Steeped in history and vibrant educational culture, Heidelberg is a city where the glorious past meets the radiant future. Located in the Rhine-Neckar region, near the confluence of the two rivers, it is a city that is home to more than 140,000 people. It has seen human footfalls since pre-historic times and has a tumultuous history of the Roman conquest, Celtic rule, Bavarian Palatinate, Catholic influence and many such events. The city was also a major purge point during the Nazi Holocaust.
Heidelberg city is also home to the oldest university in Germany. The University of Heidelberg was set up in 1386 and has been associated with such luminaries such as Friedrich Hegel, Robert Bunsen, and Kirchoff. It has long been a major cultural center and has hosted classical music festivals for centuries. It was a seat of Romanticism and with good reason. Take a walk amidst the scenic beauty of the old Celtic castles and there is a high chance you will hum a tune or two in love too.
Things to Do
If you care for history, Heidelberg is the place that you will like. Here are some of the sights of Heidelberg 1.Churches: There are a number of old churches dating back to the 18th Century. Do not forget to visit the following
- Church of Holy Ghost
- Church of the Jesuits
- Providence Church
- St. Peters Church
2 The oldest university in Germany and one of the oldest continuing universities in Europe is present in Heidelberg. A prominent school for thinkers, University of Heidelberg is one place that you should not miss.
- “Heidelberger Frí¼hling”- A Classic Music Festival in spring
- “Heidelberger Castle Festival” – Fireworks display and events in July/August.
Take a walk in the old town where the Heidelberg Castle is situated. Built to commemorate victories by the king in the 18th century, the architecture of the place is a feast for senses. The scenic walks nearby have been frequented by great thinkers over the centuries. So feel inspired if you choose to take one of the many walks.
Staying arrangements suiting all pockets are to be found at Heidelberg. Starting from Euro 25 to five-star accommodation, all types are available. Some hotels are given below
1. Heidelberg Marriott HotelVangerowstrasse 16
Heidelberg, Baden-Wurttemberg 69115 Germany
Phone:49 6221 908 0
2.Hotel HirschgasseErnest Kraft, Hirschgasse 3, 69120 Heidelberg
Phone: +49 (0) 6221 45 40
3. Crowne PlazaKurfuerstenanlage 1
Hotel Front desk— 49 6221 9170