- Location: Amsterdam city in the Netherlands
- Attraction Type: Art Festival
- Significance: Renowned Art festival
- Best time to Visit: Early June or Late May
- Visiting Hours: Festival schedules can change, so it is advisable to check the current schedule on the festival website before planning your tour.
- How to Reach: Amsterdam is connected by rail, road, shipping line and air with all parts of the Netherlands and Europe. The airport is a busy international transit point.
- Nearest Airport: Schipol Airport
Established in 1947, the Holland Festival is the premier art festival of the Netherlands. It showcases films, multimedia, music, opera, and dance. The city of Amsterdam hosts the festival every year in June. The Concertgebouw, Muziekgebouw, the city theater, and the renovated Westergas factory site are the places where the events are held.
If you are an art aficionado, the Holland Festival is a treat for your senses. Moreover, since 1947, the festival has been the place of choice for world premieres of such popular concerts like Benjamin Britten’s War Requiem and Helikopter-Streichquartett by Karlheinz Stockhausen. Each year a general theme is chosen for the festival and the events portray that theme. It is the stated aim of the festival to make immaterial the divide between high art (classical music) and low art (pop music) and to this end, they have had considerable success holding pop concerts. Go to Holland festival for an affordable look at the world of art.
Things to Do
On average the Holland festival hosts at least 40 productions and close to 100 performances. The numbers are on the rise in recent years. The genres include classical music, contemporary music, opera, music theater, film, incidental presentations of a variety of visual arts. Hence there will always be an event that will draw your attention irrespective of your tastes.
Volunteering for the smooth functioning of the festival can be a rewarding experience. Also supporting the festival through donations. There is a Holland Festival Culture Lover program that assures the best seats and unmatched festival experience.
Amsterdam is a big populous city. Hence accommodation in this city is not very hard to find. A good place to book would be online days before you actually arrive in Amsterdam. Some of the hotels are mentioned below:
- Eden Amsterdam American Hotel
1017 PN Amsterdam
Phone: +31 020 556 3000
- Hilton Amsterdam
Schipol Boulevard 701
1118 BN Luchthaven Schipol,
Phone: +31 20 7104000