on each tourist place as never before!
Retezat National ParkFast Facts
- Location: Located in the Hunedoara county in Romania.
- Attraction Type: National Park.
- Significance: It is the oldest national park of Romaina with highest number of mountain peaks.
- Best time to Visit: Late summer or beginning of the fall.
- Visiting Hours: During the daytime.
- How to Reach: The nearest airport is located at Timisoara, about 200 km away from the park. Catch train or take from there to reach the park. Trains are also available from many parts of the country. There are mainly three railway stations near Retezat National Park, viz. Subcetate, Ohaba de sub Piatra and Pui. Buses are also available.
- Nearest Airport: Traian Vuia International Airport (TSR).
Located in the Hunedoara county in Romania, Retezat National Park has more than 60 peaks and 100 glacier lakes, besides its wonderful forests and wildlife in its 275 square mile area. It is home to shy and exotic species like wolves, wild boar, brown bear, European Wildcat, Eurasian Lynx, Roe Deer, Red Deer and Chamois. On the other side, besides the mountains and the crystal clear glacial lakes, there are also a number of caves, gorges and sinkholes in the park. During the summer, the park looks incredibly amazing when the alpine slopes of the park gets filled-up by colorful rhododendron. It is a sheer pleasure for every traveler to explore the beauty and wildlife of Retezat National Park. So, come to the wonderland.
You can explore Retezat National Park in your own ways. If you love adventure, you can go for various adventure activities, similarly, if you are a nature-lover, there are so much in store for you as well. There is no charge for admission here.
Exploring the Wildlife: The wildlife that the Retezat National Park has includes wolves, wild boar, brown bear, European Wildcat, Eurasian Lynx, Roe Deer, Red Deer and Chamois. So, there is ample opportunity here to get a pretty close view of them.
Hiking: Retezat National Park offers one of the best hiking opportunities in Romania. Hiking trips mainly start from mountain cabana, whereas the most visited areas lie along the main axis between Cabana Pietrele and Cabana Buta. Hiking trips could be of one-day, two-day or four-day trips.
Enjoying the Natural Beauty: It goes without saying that Retezat National Park is full of natural beauties. One can see over 20 mountain peaks from this national park. The astonishing passes, gorges, cavernous limestone caves and sinkholes can make anyone amaze. The crystal clear waters of the glacier lakes demand a special mention here. The waters are so clear and pure that you can even drink it.
The best option for accommodation for the visitors who go to visit Retezat National Park is the camping inside the park. You can find accommodation in mountain cabins as well as in the local inns and cabins. For accommodation in Retezat National Park, you may contact at the following: