on each tourist place as never before!
- Location: Located along the west bank of the Volga River in southern part of Russia.
- Attraction Type: City.
- Significance: This city is the site of World War II.
- Best time to Visit: March to November.
- Visiting Hours: During daytime.
- How to Reach: Volgograd is a major railway junction in Russia. Trains are available from Moscow, Ukraine, the Caucasus and Siberia. You can take European route E40 if you are coming down by car.
- Nearest Airport: Volgograd International Airport (VOG).
Located along the west bank of the Volga River in southern part of Russia, Volgograd saw the most important and bloodiest battles of the World War II. The city was originally named as Tsaritsin before it was renamed as Stalingrad in 1925. Well after the death of Stalin, the name of the city was finally changed to Volgograd in 1965 by Khruschev. The Second World War reduced this city into rubble. Though it fought back gradually, yet the essence of the bloody battle is prominently visible even now. The wonderful memorials and museums will take you back to those hard times for a while. Currently Volgograd is regarded as one of the most historically and culturally rich cities in Russia.
Volgograd is the city of history and culture. There are several memorials and monuments within the city. The first thing that you should pay your visit is the Mamayev Kurgan — the site of the Battle of Stalingrad. Located atop the large hill, this site, overlooking Volgograd and the Volga River, is one of the most popular attractions of the city. Also visit the Mother Russia Statue located at the end of the town. The massive Lenin statue is also major an attraction of the city. Another popular attraction is the “Alley of Heroes” — a pedestrian walk that leads to the Volga. Also see the giant neon Lenin standing atop a building. The Panorama Museum showcases some of the outstanding paintings of the battlefield. If you want to learn the Soviet social history, you must go for an expedition into the industrial part of Volgograd.
There are plenty of options for accommodation in Volgograd. Some of those can be listed as below:
14 Mira Ulitsa
Volgograd 400052, Russia
Best Eastern Yuzhnaya Hotel
Volgograd 400074, Russia