on each tourist place as never before!
- Location: On the banks of the Lake Onega in the Republic of Karelia,Russia.
- Attraction Type: Island
- Significance: Island with wooden architecture.
- Best time to Visit: Summer
- Visiting Hours: Island closes down latest by 4:25 even in summer. It is even sooner in the winter. Openings dependent upon season.
- How to Reach: Hydrofoil or helicopter ride from Petrozavodsk In winter snowmobiles from Petrozavodsk will help you get there. Charter boat service from Moscow and St. Petersburg are also there.
- Nearest Airport: Peski Airport
However the jewel of the enclosure is the massive 37m tall Transfiguration Church built in 1714. One of the most striking features that you will notice are the glittering portraits on the large iconostasis. There is actually gold leaf in there and you will be forgiven if you get a bit dazzled by the enormous structure. Look further and you will see the Intercession church with its nine domes. Further is the belltower built in 1874. This is really a marvel. It is made without any nails and the dovetail or notch fittings of the logs were made by simple saws. It is said that the logs came from the forests on the mainland and had to be transported over the lake----which would have been quite a feat. Some of the structures even came from a 14th century Church of St. Lazarus.
Things to Do:
The Kizhi enclosure is a small place. However there are quite a few things to do. Take your time appreciating the painstaking artistry at the Transfiguration Church. The nine domes of the Intercession church will also make you stop and wonder the skill of the artists who made it. If you are of the engineering bent of mind, you cannot help but marvel at the belltower.
Stop by the museum of Russian Wooden Architecture. The Russians consider this enclosure one of their crown jewels and with good reason. They have tried to preserve this heritage in the museum which they built in 1960.
There is no accommodation on the Kizhi island. Overnight staying arrangements can be made at Petrozavodsk . There are very few options available here too.