on each tourist place as never before!
Mirny MineFast Facts
- Location: In Sakha Republic in south-eastern Siberia.
- Attraction Type: Mine
- Significance: The largest open pit diamond mine till 2005
- Best Time to Visit: May to September
- Visiting hours: Daytime
- How to reach: Fly to Mirny and then travel by road
- Nearest International Airport: Mirny Airport
Mirny, a quiet town in Sakha Republic, was set up only after the discovery of this gigantic pit mine in 1955.
Mir Mine, though currently not functional, is worth a visit for its enormity. Sakha region of Russia is also famous for its taiga forests and traditional people. Horse farms are a treat to watch. The taiga forests are inhabited by reindeer, Siberian tigers, and wolves. The sleepy towns of Sakha region are perfect for a tranquil getaway. The river Lena in Yakutsk is a charming sight as well.
Accommodation and Dining
While touring Sakha region in Russia you might put up in Yakutsk, Oymyakon, or Sinsk. Tygyn Darkhan in Yakutsk, and a few guesthouses in Sinsk and Oymyakon are places to put up. Food is delicious as in most Russian cities. Fish and meat recipes are particularly palatable.