on each tourist place as never before!
- Location:On the Gulf of Finland west of St. Petersburg in Russia
- Attraction type: Imperial Estate
- Significance: Termed the Versailles of Russia; a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Best Time to Visit: May to September
- Visiting hours: 10:30 am to 5 pm; Mondays and last Tuesday of every month closed
- How to Reach: By train from Baltiskiy Station in St. Petersburg to Noviy Peterhof; Alternatively by minibuses from Baltiskiy Station to Peterhof
- Nearest International Airport: St. Petersburg Pulkovo International Airport
Peterhof Grand Palace conceived to be the main attraction of Petrodvorets or Peterhof was designed by Jean Baptiste le Blond. Started in 1714 the construction of this imposing palace was completed in 1721. After the death of Peter the Great improvement of this Palace was carried on by his daughter Elizabeth after 1740. She appointed Bartolomeo Rastrelli who enhanced the palace with two pavilions surmounted by gild cupolas. The inside of the Palace is more lavish and intricate than the somewhat simple exteriors.
Peterhof Park & Gardens is a resplendent representation of park designs over two centuries. All forms of landscaped gardens found throughout Europe is displayed splendidly around the Grand Palace. In fact Peterhof Park is like an encyclopedia in gardening. It is amazing that the creators of this extraordinary garden could put up such a wonderful display in greenery in the harsh climatic conditions of Peterhof. The first gardens to be developed were those around Monplaisir, the original residence of Peter the Great, and Marly, the hermitage. You would discover the Garden of Venus, the Garden of Bacchus, and cherry and apple orchards.
After the formation of the Lower Gardens by Peter the Great, the Upper Gardens were created by his daughter Elizabeth. With the services of Nicola Michetti and Jean Leblond she set up a number of flower beds. Thereafter significant improvements were mace by Catherine the Great and Nicholas I. Catherine The Great took the assistance of James Meders, an English landscaper, and Giacomo Quarenghi, an Italian architect to create the English Park. This is a fine example of Russian classical architecture.
Hotels in St. Petersburg
It is advisable to stay in St. Petersburg for touring Peterhof. You might choose from Grand Hotel Europe, Kempinski Hotel, Angleterre Hotel, Stony Island Hotel, and Radisson SAS Royal Hotel.