on each tourist place as never before!
Winter Palace and Hermitage MuseumFast Facts
- Location: St.Petersburg,Russia
- Attraction Type: Museum and Palace
- Significance: Museum with the largest collection of paintings in the world
- Best time to Visit: Any time except winters. Winters are harsh in Russia
- Visiting Hours: 10:30 am to 5:30 on weekdays, Sunday till 5 pm.
- How to Reach: St.Petersburg is well connected by road, rail and air service to Moscow and other parts of the Russian Federation.
- Nearest Airport: Pulkovo International Airport
Step inside the palace and you will know the grandeur of living that the Tsars enjoyed. This palace is truly large. It has more than 1500 doors and windows and rooms and 117 staircases. The main facade of the palace was deliberately made 500 feet wide and 100 feet high to make it imposing. The innards of the palace were equally extravagant at its height. Take this for example---- an easing stool for the Tsaritsa was made of silver and studded with rubies!
Take time with you when you visit this palace. There are so many things to see that you must take more than a day to appreciate all on display.
Things to Do:
The Palace and Museum regularly hosts exhibitions. From Books to stones from the collection of Duke of Orleans----the things on display are sure to enthrall you with their variety and rarity. There is also a Gala Banquet every year in June which sees the best and the brightest of Russia. The Museum has 15 departments in all. Try not to miss the following even if you are pressed for time--------
- The Department of Western European Art
- The Department of Art and Culture of Antiquity
- The Department of Russian Culture
- The Oriental Department
- The Arsenal
- The Department of Archeology of Eastern Europe and Siberia
St. Petersburg is one of the biggest cities in the Russian Federation. Hence finding accommodation is not a problem. Searching online is a good way to start. Some of the hotels are given below:
- Grand Hotel Europe,
Nevsky Prospekt, Mikhailovskaya Ulitsa 1/7,
St. Petersburg, Russia.
Phone: +7 812 329 6000
11 ya Liniya,Vasilevsky,Ostrov
Phone.: +7 (812) 323-22-31