on each tourist place as never before!
Aqueduct of Segovia
- Location:Located in the city of Segovia, 50 miles away from Madrid in Spain
- Attraction Type: Aqueduct.
- Significance:It is one of the most significant and best-preserved monuments of the Romans on the Iberian Peninsula.
- Best time to Visit:April to June.
- Visiting Hours:During daytime.
- How to Reach:The nearest airport is Madrid-Barajas International Airport. It takes two hours by Cercanias trains, 30 minutes by AVE high-speed trains and an hour by bus to reach Segovia from Madrid.
- Nearest Airport:Madrid-Barajas International Airport (MAD).
It is an astonishing millennial prodigy of the Roman ingenuity, it is one of the most significant and best-preserved monuments of the Romans on the Iberian Peninsula, and it is exactly what the Spanish town of Segovia is known to the rest of the world for — the aqueduct of Segovia is a remarkable construction and an equally well-preserved one. You simply get spellbound when you think how this mammoth structure was built in the 1st century AD without the use of mortar or cement.
Located in the city of Segovia, 50 miles away from Madrid in Spain, the aqueduct of Segovia transports water from Spring Fuenfría in the nearby mountains in La Acebeda region and brings it to the city of Segovia. The 2950 feet long structure with two-tier architecture in some parts is made up of rough-hewn gigantic granite blocks consisting of 166 arches and 120 pillars. The tallest part of the aqueduct has a height of 93.5 feet including its foundation of 19.7 feet.
It is a continuous process of getting amazed as you go on visiting the several parts of the aqueduct of Segovia. Visit El Caserón or Big House is the huge tank where the water is first gathered. It then passes through the channel to reach the second tower known as the Casa de Aguas or Waterhouse. The popular points that the aqueduct of Segovia passes through are Postigo — a rocky outcropping, Plaza de Diaz Sanz, Plaza Azoguejo or Azoguejo Square etc.
Besides visiting aqueduct of Segovia, you can also visit the other attractions of the city of Segovia like Alcí¡zar, Casa de los Picos and Museo de Segovia etc.
There are a number of hotels available in the city of Segovia. Some of those can be named as below:
Ctra. Soria a Plasencia 1
Tel: +34 921 425 761
Hotel Los Linajes
C/ Doctor Velasco 9.
Tel: +34 921 460 475