on each tourist place as never before!
Aletsch GlacierFast Facts
- Location: Valais, Switzerland
- Attraction Type: Valley glacier
- Significance: Largest glacier in the Alps
- Time to Visit: During Summer.
- How to Reach: To get to Aletsch Glacier, you have to take Matterhorn-Gotthard train to Morel and from there you will reach Riederalp or Bettmeralp by cable cabin. If you go by car, you have to go from Brig to Morel, to the valley station of the Betten/ Bettmeralp cable cabin and up to Riederalp or Bettmeralp by cable cabin.
- Nearest International Airport: Geneva International Airport
Located in the Jungfrau-Aletsch-Bietschhorn area and encircled by the Aletsch Forest, Aletsch Glacier in southern Switzerland is the largest glacier in the Alps. Not only the Aletsch but also the entire Swiss region around the Aletsch Glacier denotes a part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site Jungfrau-Aletsch-Bietschhorn.
Covering more than 120 square kilometers, Aletsch Glacier, Switzerland falls round the south of the Jungfrau Mountain into the valley of the Upper Rhone. The glacier lake of Marjelen lies down its eastern fringe and to the west rises the Aletschhorn Mountain.
What to see
The villages along the ridge are well-connected with aerial passenger tramways. You will have a majestic view of the lower part of the glacier from the villages of Riederhorn and Eggishorn. The Jungrau railway guides you to the Jungfrau saddle and allows in getting a view of the upper part of the glacier. The village of Bettmeralp, located above the village of Betten, is a high plateau above the Rhone Valley.
What to do
You will enjoy numerous leisure-time activities such as cross-country skiing and alpine skiing and hiking, climbing, mountain biking as well as several glacier tours in summer.
The adventurous Aletsch hike allows you to explore the glacier and the forest at close range. In addition to them, various kinds of sports are available in the village of Riederalp as well as Bettmeralp. There is a golf club with a 9-hole golf course as well.
You will find countless accommodations of various kinds within proximity to Aletsch Glacier. Next to Swiss holiday flats and guesthouses, you may also choose your suitable place for an overnight stay from a variety of Swiss hotels.
Related Links :
http://www.journyl.nl/tashi/aletsch-glacier-switzerland: Check out wonderful pictures of the Aletsch Glacier in this travel account.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3OA55UTFI: To see the wonderful beauty of the Aletsch Glacier, with its breathtaking carpet of milk-white snow, click on this link!