- Location: Swiss-Italian border
- Range: Pennine Alps
- Time to Visit: Month of July and August
- How to Reach: To get to Matterhorn, you have to reach Valais. The nearest international airport is in Geneva and from there you may take the train to Valais.
- Nearest International Airport: Geneva International Airport
As the prominent tip of the picturesque Matterhorn takes on a ruddy hue that gradually spreads its iridescence throughout the entire length of the great mountain, you already know you are in the middle of experiences one of the most beautiful natural views of the world. Matterhorn, located on the border between Italy and Switzerland, does not look like a chance creation of some natural phenomenon. It looks like a chiseled mount carved by a master sculptor with a keen eye for formal perfection!
Matterhorn is located in the Pennine Alps and is known as Cervin in French and Cervino in Italian. The summit is 4,478 meters (14,692 ft) high and is one of the highest peaks in the Alps. On the north, it overlooks the town of Zermatt in Valais canton and in the south, the town of Cervinia in the Aosta Valley. Matterhorn, Switzerland is regarded as an iconic emblem of the Swiss Alps.
- Zermatt is a ski and mountaineering resort. It is the starting point of the Haute Route and Patrouille des Glaciers.
- Matterhorn Museum: Here you may learn about the story of the Matterhorn from its African origins to its present day. The museum also tells you about the small farming village of Zermatt which later became a famous health resort. It features a sunken village being excavated by archeologists. Learn about the mountain through the multilingual audio guide and video show.
- Cervinia is situated at the foot of the mountain surrounded by the rock face of the Jumeaux and glaciated mountains. It features a ski area which it shares with Zermatt
Things to do
The region is an ideal paradise for winter sports lovers. You can mountain bike around Zermatt. Bikes are available for hire from various shops. The Rothorn area is a suitable area for biking for cyclists of all levels. Zermatt also has excellent skiing areas. There are four areas namely Gornergrat, Sunnegga, Schwarzsee and Klein Matterhorn.
There are various types of accommodations available in Zermatt and Cervinia. Camping may be a good option if you are on a budget. There are a number of budget hotels in Zermatt like Hotel Bahnhof, Fluhalp Restaurant, and Schonbielhí¼tte. Mid-range hotels include Hotel Allain and Walliserhof. Luxury hotels include the Omnia, Zermatterhof and Mont Cervin.
Related Links :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV3MZzeZHoA&NR=1: Check out the wonderful scenic beauty of the Matterhorn and the surrounding mountain range in this video. You will be tempted to be there as soon as you can!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLeVv_bvZgs&feature=related: Check out the famous Matterhorn sunrise in this video! It is truly a night to remember.