on each tourist place as never before!
- Location: Swiss-Italian border
- Range: Pennine Alps
- Time to Visit: Month of July and August
- How to Reach: To get to Matterhorn, you have to reach Valais. The nearest international airport is in Geneva and from there you may take the train to Valais.
- Nearest International Airport: Geneva International Airport
Matterhorn is located on the Pennine Alps and is known as Cervin in French and Cervino in Italian. The summit is 4,478 meters (14,692 ft) high and is one of the highest peaks in the Alps. On the north it overlooks the town of Zermatt in Valais canton and in the south, the town of Cervinia in the Aosta Valley. Matterhorn, Switzerland is regarded as an iconic emblem of the Swiss Alps.
- Zermatt is a ski and mountaineering resort. It is the starting point of the Haute Route and Patrouille des Glaciers.
- Matterhorn Museum: Here you may learn about the story of the Matterhorn from its African origins to its present day. The museum also tells you about the small farming village of Zermatt which later became a famous health resort. It features a sunken village being excavated by archeologists. Learn about the mountain through the multilingual audio guide and video show.
- Cervinia is situated at the foot of the mountain surrounded by the rock face of the Jumeaux and glaciated mountains. It features a ski area which it shares with Zermatt
The region is an ideal paradise for winter sports lovers. You can mountain bike around Zermatt. Bikes are available for hire from various shops. The Rothorn area is a suitable area for biking for cyclists of all levels. Zermatt also has excellent skiing areas. There are four areas namely Gornergrat, Sunnegga, Schwarzsee and Klein Matterhorn.
Related Links :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV3MZzeZHoA&NR=1: Check out the wonderful scenic beauty of the Matterhorn and the surrounding mountain range in this video. You will be tempted to be there as soon as you can!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLeVv_bvZgs&feature=related: Check out the famous Matterhorn sunrise in this video! It is truly a sight to remember.