- Location: Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
- Attraction type: Alpine village
- Significance: Wonderful opportunity for skiing. Also, there are some scintillating panoramic views.
- Best Time to visit: Between November and April
- How to Reach: Take an express train from Bern to Interlaken, and continue by Bernese Oberland train to Lauterbrunnen. From Lauterbrunnen, you can either take a mountain train to Murren or reach Stchelberg and take an aerial cableway from there. You can follow the same route from Lucerne. You can also reach Lauterbrunnen or Stechelberg by car from both Bern and Lucerne. Air taxi services are available to Heliport Lauterbrunnen.
- Nearest Airport: Zurich International Airport. You can also approach from Geneva International Airport
The reputation of Murren lies largely on the appearance of the famed Schilthorn cable ride and the Piz Gloria revolving restaurant from the James Bond movie ‘On Her Majesty’s Secret Service’. For Murren, it’s like coming a full circle. It was, after all, the British who discovered the place in the 1840s. Right from its early years, the potential of Murren as a skiing paradise and tourist hub was clearly understood. The famous ‘Inferno’ amateur downhill skiing competition is continuing for the last eighty years and more.
Although most of the visitors to Murren are skiers and winter sports enthusiasts, its panoramic view makes it a popular attraction among nature lovers as well. Murren, in spite of attracting steady tourist footfall, maintains much of its original secluded mountain paradise feel. The community is only 450 strong, although there are enough hotel beds to accommodate more than 2000 tourists. The greatest draw of Murren is the spectacular view of the Alpine triumvirate that it presents — Jungfrau, Eiger, and Monch.
A vertical drop that descends for over 800 m offers an excellent view of the entire Oberland region, showing Mont Blanc and receding to the Black Forest. This is a view you will not get anywhere else, not even in the more popular mountain resorts in the Swiss Alps.
Things to do in Murren
You can indulge in a large number of activities during your stay in Murren. Ski, like most Swiss Alps destinations, is a specialty in Murren. The total prepared ski area is 53 km, and there are options for snowboarding and tobogganing as well. You can also use the extended ski areas of Jungfrau from Murren. Cross country skiing in the valley between Stechelgerg and Lauterbrunnen is also one of the chief attractions.
While off-slope, you can peruse the excellent sports center of the resort. Swimming in the 25 m swimming pool is a wonderful experience, particularly during the summer days.
Accommodation in Murren
There is plenty of accommodation choices in Murren. Some of the most popular places to stay in Murren are Regina, Alpenblick, Belmont, and Alpenruh. Budget travelers can opt for the self-catering Mountain Hostel in Gimmelwald. Most of the hotels have excellent restaurants. Alpenruh is particularly noted for its delicious food. At the same time, you are welcome to give in to the temptation of dining at the Schilthorn summit resort, in true Bond style. However, remember that most Murren hotels stay shut between April and November.