- Location: Central Anatolia, Turkey
- Time to Visit: Spring and Autumn
- How to Reach: Getting to Cappadocia is easy and convenient. You may take a flight to the city of Ankara or Kayseri from Istanbul, Izmir or Antalya and then reach Cappadocia by car or bus. From Ankara, it takes around 4 hours and from Kayseri, it takes only 1.30 hours. If you are in Istanbul, you may travel to Ankara by train and then reach Cappadocia by rental car or bus.
- Nearest International Airport: ASR Kayseri International Airport
The name ‘Cappadocia’, a large inland district of Asia Minor (modern Turkey), is still widely used as an international tourism concept to characterize a region of extraordinary natural wonders illustrated by fairy chimneys and a unique historical and cultural heritage. It is a place where Nature and history come together.
Cappadocia attractions include numerous churches, chapels, rock formations, villages, and other natural sites. Some of the must-see attractions in Cappadocia include
- Goreme: The small town of Goreme, located in the middle of the Valley of Fairy Chimneys, is surrounded by weird shapes and incredible rock formations that have mad region famous.
- Goreme Open-Air Museum: The Goreme Open-Air Museum, consisting of more than 30 rock-hewn churches and chapels containing some wonderful frescoes, is the most visited of the monastic communities in Cappadocia and one of the most eminent sites in central Turkey.
- Uchisar: The village, deriving its name from a huge rock, is well-known for the Uchisar castle which offers a breathtaking view of an area between Nevsehir, Urgup, Avanos, and Ortahisar.
- Zelve Valley: Built in the shape of a huge amphitheater, the Zelve valley is one of the most unique land formations of Cappadocia.
Apart from the above-mentioned sites, you may also go for memorable excursions to the underground cities of Derinkuyu and Kaymakli.
Cappadocia is famous for the Whirling Dervishes Festival. Each December a million visitors come to the Mausoleum of Mevlana in Konya where the ceremony of the Whirling Dervishes memorializes the great Sufic saint Mevlana in one of the world’s greatest events.
Things to do
Apart from sightseeing, the dynamic region of Cappadocia offers endless things to do. You will enjoy several sports activities like hiking, hot air ballooning, golf.
As well as cereals, Cappadocia is well-known for potatoes, fruits, and exclusive wine. Here you may savor some of the finest examples of Turkish delicacies.
Where to stay
Cappadocia offers a wide range of accommodation from luxury hotels to high-quality 4-star hotels and comfortable guesthouses.
A visit to Turkey is incomplete without visiting Cappadocia, the land of beautiful horses.
Related Links :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apJSoAO7kL0: Get a glimpse of all the natural wonders and the equally wonderful architecture of Cappadocia in this wonderful slideshow. Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wlhjm7ov9w&feature=related: Another wonderful slideshow on the historic and charming Cappadocia churches and landscapes. The atmosphere of the place is simply breathtaking, although the music helps to create it in this particular video!