- Location:50 km. from Melbourne, Australia
- Attraction Type: Wine Producing Region
- Significance: Wineries, Picnic, Natural Parks
- How to Reach: Yarra Valley is an hour’s drive from Melbourne. Take the Easter Freeway from Melbourne and turn right into Springvale Road from the Nunawading exit. Turn left onto Whitehorse Road till you reach Healesville. You can easily access it from the airport by taking the Kangaroo Ground Road to Healesville. From Healesville, turn left at the Healesville-Yarra Glen Road and drive for another 10 km.
- Best Time to Visit: Any time of the year
- Nearest Airport: Melbourne International Airport
Over the years, Yarra Valley, the leading cold-climate wine-producing region in Australia, has developed into a popular tourist destination. Apart from the many wine-producing houses, which include big names of the Australian wine market as well as a number of local breweries, there are a number of added activities that never fail to attract travelers to this region.
Yarra Valley typically refers to the upper regions around the Yarra River, which originates in the Yarra Ranges to the east of Melbourne and flows to the city before finally draining into Port Phillip. The upper region typically experiences a cooler climate, making the climate ideal for the cultivation of fine quality wines, including pinot noir, chardonnay, and sparkling wine.
Yarra Valley Winery Tours
Winery tours are quite obviously the greatest attraction of Yarra Valley. The wines produced in Yarra Valley range from the simple yet elegant Sauvignon Blanc to the more complex Pinot Noir and Cabernet Sauvignon. It does not matter what kind of wine you prefer, Chardonnay or Shiraz, you are sure to find your choice in Yarra Valley. Simply explore the cafes, pubs, restaurants and markets in Yarra Valley, as well as the individual wineries, you will hit on the brew of the choice with ease.
Yarra Valley Activities
Although primarily reputed for its quality wine produces, Yarra Valley is well known for its great scenic beauty. It makes for a great destination for family tours. The Healesville Sanctuary is a great attraction in the Valley region. There are a number of national parks and state parks as well as forest reserves in the Yarra Valley region. Explore Kinglake National Park and Dandenong Ranges National Park, as well as the National Rhododendron Garden and the Lysterfield Park to experience nature at her pristine best. A family picnic is a popular activity in the Healesville region. Visit Badger Weir Reserve Picnic Area and spend a memorable time with your friends and family.
Accommodation and Dining in Yarra Valley
Yarra Valley has a number of restaurants and hotels that provide excellent food and wine. Accommodation opportunities are plenty, and you can choose from a wide range of settings and in-house facilities to hit on the hotel of your choice. Some of the more upscale and popular hotels in Yarra Valley include Chateaus Yering Historica House Hotel, Lavender Farm Yarra Valley and Balgownie Estate Vineyard Resort and Spa.