on each tourist place as never before!
Tren a las Nubes
- Location: Journey between Salta and La Polvorilla in Argentina
- Attraction type: Train journey
- Significance: Amongst the three highest train journeys in the world
- Best time to visit: April to November
- Duration of journey: 7 am to midnight
- How to reach: By flight or bus to Salta
- Nearest Airport: Salta Airport
The historic train of the clouds journey in South America operates between Salta and La Polvorilla viaduct near Chile border. As you traverse this route you would come across 21 tunnels, 29 bridges, 13 viaducts, 2 zigzags, and 2 spirals. The zigzags are particularly intriguing with the train having to move parallel to mountain slopes while making a climb.
This train of 10 wagons running on meter gauge track is hauled by 2475 hp diesel-electric locomotive.
Journey in Tren a las Nubes
In each journey the train carries up to a maximum of 640 passengers who are entertained by folk music all along the journey. On board you would be served delicious food in the restaurant car. A doctor on board is always there for medical assistance. As the train stops in each of the 19 interim stations you might alight and go for a look around or buy local artifacts from quaint stores.
This fabulous journey operates on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays from April to November. It departs from General Belgrano Station in Salta at 7 in the morning and returns at midnight. In the summer months from December to March, Tren a las Nubes plies between Salta and Diego de Almagro at an elevation of 3500 meters.