on each tourist place as never before!
- Location: Located at the northern end of the endorheic Altiplano basin, astride the border between Bolivia to the east and Peru to the west, in South America.
- Attraction Type: Lake.
- Significance: The highest commercially navigable lake in the world, the second largest lake in South America, base of the most influential pre-Hispanic cultures of the Andean region and home to 60 species of birds, 14 species of fish and 18 species of amphibians including the giant frog.
- Best time to Visit: May to October.
- Visiting Hours: During day time.
- How to Reach: If you want to reach Lake Titicaca from the Peru side, then Puno would be your destination. Come at Inca Manco Cí¡pac International Airport in Juliaca, 30 minutes drive from Puno. If you are coming down from Bolivia, you need to come at Copacabana.
- Nearest Airport: Inca Manco Cí¡pac International Airport (JUL) and Copacabana Airport.
Located at the northern end of the endorheic Altiplano basin, astride the border between Bolivia to the east and Peru to the west, 3,812 meters above the sea level, Lake Titicaca consists of two almost separate sub-basins called Lago Grande and Lago Pequeí±o, connected only by the Strait of Tiquina. Feb mainly by rainfall and melted water from sierras glaciers, there are also more than 25 rivers that come and drain their water into Lake Titicaca. Another feature of Lake Titicaca is its islands which are nearly 41 in numbers. With a length of 196 km and an average width of 56 km, Lake Titicaca offers a wide area to explore for the visitors, which can truly be a memorable experience for any traveler.
Things to Do
There are plenty of attractions in and around Lake Titicaca. You can explore Lake Titicaca in your own way. But don't forget to visit some of the top attractions like floating Uros Islands, Isla Taquile or Taquile Island, Isla del Sol or Island of the Sun, Puno Town Centre, Isla Amantani or Amantani Island etc.
Isla del Sol is the largest of the all lake islands and is one of the major attractions in Lake Titicaca, located near Copacabana, on the Bolivia side. It is considered as the home of Inti — the supreme Inca god. Also visit the town of Challapampa on the north end of the island. It is the home to Chinkana. Travel about 270 feet from here to the town of Challapampa where you will find the puma-shaped sacred rock. You will also find two giant footprints.
On the south end of the Isla del Sol is Yumani — the site of the Inca steps. And do not forget to see the sunset in Isla del Sol — it is magical. You should also visit Isla de la Luna — the home of the Inca goddess Mama Quila.
Another big attraction of Lake Titicaca is the Uros Islands — the manmade floating islands of reeds. Located in the Peru side, these islands are the home to the descendents of the ancient Uros culture.
You either need to stay at Puno in Peru or at Copacabana in Bolivia. There is no dearth of accommodation in both the places. Some of the hotels that you can choose from are as below:
Jr. Tarapací¡ 355, Puno
Libertador Isla Esteves
Isla Esteves, Puno
Rua Bulhíµes de Carvalho 61
Fax: +55-21 2287-8896
Best Western Rio Copa
Av. Princesa Isabel, 370
Related Links :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAQhpwoH3c8: Check out the wonderful tranquil beauty of Lake Titicaca and get to know the Indian legends and myths associated with its in this short and informative video on the highest navigable lake in the world.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvucitc8p98&feature=related: For more exquisite views of the Lake Titicaca and the floating island of Uros, click on this link!