on each tourist place as never before!
Laguna ColoradaFast Facts
- Location: Located within Eduardo Avaroa Andean Fauna National Reserve in the southwest of the altiplano of Bolivia, quite close to the border with Chile.
- Attraction Type: Salt Lake.
- Significance: A shallow salt lake with brilliant red color and thousands of wonderful flamingos.
- Best time to Visit: Summer or early fall.
- Visiting Hours: During day time.
- How to Reach: You have to reach Uyuni first. You can reach Uyuni by air and by bus from La Paz, Oruro, Potosi, Tupiza, Atocha, Sucre etc.
- Nearest Airport: Uyuni Airport (UYU.
Located within Eduardo Avaroa Andean Fauna National Reserve in the southwest of the altiplano of Bolivia, quite close to the border with Chile, Laguna Colorada covers around 60 square km of area with a depth of about 50 cm. The water of the lake, high in salt content and fiery red in color give it an incredible look. The reasons behind the color of the water are the pigmentation of algae and plankton thriving in the mineral-rich water of sodium, gypsum, magnesium and borax.
Exploring the amazing beauty of Laguna Colorada is a sheer delight for any traveler. Laguna Colorada is a breeding ground for the famous flamingos. The algae of Laguna Colorada are the source of food for the rare James flamingos and also for the Chilean and Andean flamingos. There are also over 50 species of other birds which have made this lake their home. It is an unforgettable scene to watch the flocks of flamingos on the lake as they collect their food and fly over the red water.
There are also a few geysers and hot springs in surrounding area. Don't miss to have baths in the hot springs.
While visiting Laguna Colorada, it is better to stay at Uyuni — a popular town in Bolivia. There are a number of options available for accommodation there. Some of the hotels that one can find in Uyuni are as below:
Hostal Cruz de Popayan
Colon # 125 bet. Junin y Bustillos
Related Links :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz46AOQnSyUP: Check out the great beauty of the sunset at Laguna Colorada, along with the wonderful flamingos, in this comprehensive slideshow!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQauEkDJOW0: This is another beautiful slideshow with absolutely magnetic views from Laguna Colorada. Enjoy!