- Location: Located in the Potosi and Oruro departments in southwest Bolivia, near the crest of the Andes.
- Attraction Type: Salt Flat.
- Significance: It is the largest salt flat in the world.
- Best time to Visit: It can be visited throughout the year, but the best is between May and November.
- Visiting Hours: During day time.
- How to Reach: You have to reach Uyuni first. You can reach Uyuni by air and by bus from La Paz, Oruro, Potosi, Tupiza, Atocha, Sucre, etc. Your journey to Salar de Uyuni starts from Uyuni.
- Nearest Airport: Uyuni Airport (UYU).
The largest salt flat in the world — this is exactly what that comes to your mind when you hear of Salar de Uyuni — one of the major attractions in Bolivia and the land of amazing landscapes. It is only its natural splendor that, besides a huge number of tourists from all over the world, also attracts thousands of photographers who flock here in order to capture its unique landscape. And as a tourist, you are bound to amaze by the unique features that the Salar de Uyuni has for you.
Located in the Potosi and Oruro departments in southwest Bolivia, near the crest of the Andes, Salar de Uyuni, once an inland sea, is currently a dried hill with huge cacti. It is a wonderland comprising over 12,000 km that needs at least 3 to 4 days of the tour to explore extensively. The center of the region has 10 meters thick salt. During the dry season, the area looks like a completely flat expanse whereas a thin sheet of water covers the area during the wet season.
Things to Do
There are plenty of attractions in Salar de Uyuni, truly. And as you go exploring the place, you become amazed in every instance. Your visit must include the attractions like Uyuni Plaza Arce, Train Graveyard, Bloques de Sal, Salt-mining area, Salt Hotels, Isla de Los Pescados, Laguna Hedionda, Viscacha Area, Arbol de Piedra, Laguna Colorada, Laguna Celeste, laguna Amarilla, Ruinas de San Antonio, and Valles de Rocas, etc.
There are also a number of geysers and hot springs in this area such as Solar de Manaí±a a geyser basin, Termas de Polques hot springs and a few more. You can also a thrilling bath in some of them.
You have plenty of options for accommodation in Uyuni. Some of the hotels in Uyuni are listed below:
Hotel Kory Ways
Potosí 304, Town center
HI-Salar de Uyuni
Cnr potosí & sucre, Town center,
Related Links :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZDp6XQAIPY: Check out fascinating pictures of the Salar de Uyuni including the wonderful sunshine, one of the most beautiful views of the world, in this slideshow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0OUPYTRAks&feature=related: For more breathtaking views of the white expanse of the beautiful Salar de Uyuni, click on this link!